Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin time...

Bet you can't guess what we did for FHE tonight...the FHE before Halloween? We went Christmas Carolling...Just kidding. Of course we carved our pumpkins. I learned something new tonight also...I am mildly allergic to pumpkin guts but don't care cuz it is so fun to scoop them out. We even toasted our pumpkin seeds and they are so yummy.


Grady and Rhett


Taylor
It is really hard for me to just let go and let my kids get creative when I am so used to always being the creative one for them. Usually I am the one who carves their pumpkins for them because either they don't want to do it or they can't get it right. Last year and this year the kids tried and carved their own pumpkins. Taylor and Rhett finished theirs alone and I helped Grady. By helping him I mean I did the whole thing. They turned out cute and the kids did a really good job. This year we saved our seeds and toasted them. Another new thing for us...when I was little my mom used to toast them and I remember them being soooooo good.

Crunchy, salty, addicting yummy goodness!
Strain you seeds in a colander and get all of the pulp off of them. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and pour some olive oil over them. Salt generously. Roast them in a 250 degree oven for 60-90 minutes, tossing every 20 minutes. Toast until they are browned. Yummy!



I finally got a cute video of Jenner walking but my camera doesn't have sound on it...so it's sort of a silent movie.

4 comments:

Lara said...

Am I a bad mom because I don't like carving pumpkins? I just don't like it. I like scooping out the guts and all, but the mess I could do with out and the knives as well. We haven't even bought pumpkins yet. I kind of forgot about it until I read your blog. I am a bad mom, oh well. But I do remember toasting the seeds once when I was little. They are VERY good for you as well.

The Belnaps said...

I can't believe she is walking. she's so big!

Lisa said...

I TOO am allergic to pumpkin guts! I was always happy about it though, because those hives I'd get clear up my arms were the only way I was excused from scooping out that gross sliminess year after growing up!
I toasted the seeds a few years ago and we all became so addicted to them! I'm glad you posted instructions because I couldn't remember how. I'll have to try the olive oil - my old recipe used butter, but also used Morton hot salt which was awesome! You should try it sometime!

Trina and Wes said...

It was good to hear from you. Tell everyone that I said hello! Your family looks great too!