Friday, August 15, 2008

Endless search is over...or not?



I'm on an endless search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie and I found this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe blog...hoping they will be the one!!!

Aunt Alecia's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter-flavored shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon very hot water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 1/2 cups flour
1 package chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and both sugars together until well mixed. Add eggs (extra-large eggs are really important - if I don't have that size I add 3 large eggs and then beat an additional egg in a bowl and add about half of the beaten egg) and mix for 5-7 minutes, until the batter is very, very light in color. Add hot water and mix again. Add salt, vanilla, soda and mix. Add flour and chocolate chips together and mix until combined. Drop cookies by rounded tablespoon (I use my trusty cookie scoop) onto parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheets and bake for 10-11 minutes until barely browned around the edges - don't overbake!
So I just made these for a neighbor of mine and I have to say, they were just okay. The dough is so light from all of that mixing and the cookies are puffy and airy, almost cake-like. I had to bake them for 11 minutes in my oven, so watch them and adjust the time accordingly.
When I say that I am endlessly searching, I mean I am comparing every chocolate chip cookie to the pillsbury premade dough. Those are definitely the best ever! I have been on this endless search since Chris and I got married. I didn't even like CC cookies until I married him and he loves them. Basically, these are not it and we didn't even keep them around. Our neighbors took them to a party to get rid of them. There wasn't much flavor to them although the texture was good. I guess the search goes on...I only post this recipe for those of you who would like to try them, I do realize that everyone likes different things...we just didn't like these!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm on a quest for the perfect CC cookies too, so you will need to share it when you find one. I made a batch the other day and wanted to share them with you to lighten your day, but I was so disappointed in them. I'm tired of the squishy flat cookies, so I thought this new recipe (my friends' grandma's recipe) would be great, but it only turned out to be clumps of dry cookie dough. Yuck!

Lara said...

Hmmm...I hope you find that perfect recipe soon! I LOVE chocolate chip cookies. I hope you share it when you do. I have a pretty good one, at least it is a "no fail" kind of cookie. It turns out great EVERY time.

M.S. said...

Was this the perfect chocolate chip cookie? I have a reciepe you should try. I believe it is the perfect cookie. -melissa