Friday, June 26, 2009

Sarah's Chili and Apple Fritters...

During the summer we spend alot of our time swimming with cousins at their house...we have so much fun! On many of our days spent there Sarah and I decide to do things for dinner...we usually see what I have in my freezer and what she has in her freezer and try to make a meal out of our combined items...it's quite fun. A couple of weekends ago, they invited us over for Sunday dinner and I didn't have to do a thing...imagine my complete happiness with this notion (I owe you Sarah)...and this is what she made! Homemae Chili...and for dessert...Apple Fritters! Try them both and I promise you that you will walk away a very happy woman!


Sarah's Chili:

3/4 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Salt and Pepper

Brown ground beef with onion, pepper and garlic in a large soup pot. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes...or for as long as you need. Makes 4 main dish servings! Top with cheese, sour cream, green onions, chips or whatever you like! Sarah usually doubles or triples this recipe when she makes it...YUM!



Apple Fritters: (recipe from the Worlwide Ward Cookbook)
4-5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp. oil
dash of salt
1 cup milk (plus a little more)
Get your apples ready and pour some lemon juice over them so they don't brown. Mix the rest of the ingredients together to make a batter. Dip the apples in the batter one at a time and fry in hot oil, turning to brown on all sides. Roll in cinnamon sugar.
These are so good...I am not a big fan of cooked fruit and especially not a big fan of Granny Smith apples but this recipe has both and I loved them. Sarah was even kind enough to fry me up some batter balls without apples cuz hey, who doesn't love a little fried dough now and then...more now! This batter has got to be one of the best frying batters out there! If you make them soon...you know where I live...(hint)...
If you have the Worldwide Ward Cookbook you know how good it is...I really need to get me a copy of it soon...also, you can go to the authors blog at www.worldwidewardcookbook.blogspot.com and submit your recipes...you know I did!!!

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Those both look delicious!

Lisa said...

I gave that Worldwide Ward Cookbook to my mom and mother in law and am DYING to buy it for myself!!!!

melissa said...

Looks yummy! I just might have to try those! I have never heard of that cookbook but it sounds like I need it.