Friday, November 4, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup...



I found this recipe on the PW's tasty kitchen blog and I had to try it...
I love me a good tortilla soup but I don't love all of the work that goes into some of the recipes...
after I made my usual changes I was really pleased!
this was an easy one and it had a really good flavor...
I will be making it one of my staples for sure!

Chicken Tortilla Soup...

2 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
4 cans chicken broth
1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Lime juice and Cilantro
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder (I used less)
1 can black beans, rinsed thoroughly
1 carrot, cut into big pieces
Bring the broth to a boil and add tomatoes, garlic and spices.  Bring back to a boil and add beans, chicken and carrot.  The carrot is basically there to bring the spice down a bit...if you like it super spicy, skip adding the carrot.  Add the chicken and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Take the carrot out and serve in bowls topped with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream and avocado if you like!

I am assuming that you could use regular canned tomatoes and skip the whole carrot thing altogether but I really liked the cilantro and lime flavor in the rotel tomatoes.  Play around with it until you get the flavor how you like it!

No comments: