Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Zebra Popcorn...

My friend brought me over some of that yummy Zebra Popcorn that Sam's club carries every once in a while and we were hooked...
it's ridiculously expensive though and justifying it's superb yumminess for a dent in my wallet doesn't go over very well for me...
so I decided to make my own...
and  my friend told me that Studio 5 did a segment on it so I googled it and found a recipe...
and then I changed it a little bit...
cuz it's my thing to always change recipes...



So here goes!
Zebra Popcorn (Caramel corn with Dark and White Chocolate drizzles)



12 cups popped popcorn (2 1/2 bags of the microwave stuff)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6-8 ounces dark chocolate
6-8 ounces white chocolate

Method:  

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Spray 2 cookies sheets with pam and set aside.

Melt butter in microwave safe bowl for 1 minute.  Add brown sugar and karo and mix.  Microwave in 1 minute intervals until boiling, stirring frequently.  Without stirring, continue to cook for 3 minutes.  Stir in vanilla and baking soda.  Pour over popped corn and mix well to thoroughly coat the popcorn with caramel.  Spread out on the cookie sheets.  Bake both pans for 7 minutes, stir and rotate pans.  Repeat.  Cool in pans.  Melt the chocolate separately and drizzle over cooled popcorn.  When cooled break into pieces and enjoy!
I used those melting candy chips that you can buy at wal-mart in the party section where the wedding cake baking stuff is...and I just used regular chocolate because they didn't have dark.  It still taste really good.  Also, after the chocolate has melted I put it in a ziplock bag to make the drizzling easier.  I don't even want to know how many calories are in this...it is sooooo good!

3 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh my - I saw this on Studio Five and have been waiting for someone to tell me it is oh so worth it. THANKS!

northslopegang said...

My friend makes her own version and adds candied pecans and homemade caramel drizzle in addition to the choc. Super yummy.

ginagte said...

this looks YUMMY. I'm doing a black and white them of YW in Excellence in Nov. would this be something that would go with that theme?

Gina Anderson (Karen's daughter from San Jose)